Monday, February 23, 2009

So, where was I?

After only only week away from routine I need to think hard to remember where we were! Good thing I left notes for myself in various folders telling me what to do next. For example: Plant lapbook folder, parts of plant info on flowers and fruit. Vocab cards for (lists vocab) and activity two. Alhamdulillah.
The girls threw themselves into a very long imaginative game which involved lots of paper cutting, drawing and sticking.
Tiny things were cut up and put into boxes (below), then these toys were played with for most of the day, on and off.


Next we have a picture of a jam jar with some cloudy stuff at the bottom. This is the result of the crystal growing experiment. In real life they are much more easily seen, you can really observe their shape. This experiment is so easy, here is how to do it:
You need Epsom salts (from the pharmacy) and a jam jar.
We did this experiment directly in the jam jar to avoid using any food preparation utensils in direct contact with the epsom salts.
Mix 60g of epsom salts with 60ml water in the jar. Place the jam jar in a saucepan with about 10cm depth of water in the pan. Heat gently on the stove, stirring until the epsom salts have dissloved. Put the jam jar in a safe, warm place and leave it for a few days until the crystals form. We put ours on top of the bookshelf.


The boys were rather underwhelmed actually. They must have been imagining something really spectacular!



I started a zakat project with Ia today. We have not finished the five pillars lapbook yet, but I decided to take a diversion and instead of just sticking a sentence or two in the lapbook and moving on I thought we should work on the topic of zakat, because Ia doesn't know about it at all. I shall be following the project outline the boys did at a similar age, inshAllah.
Finally, I found the clay work picture! I'm glad about that because since then some of these items have broken.









4 comments:

UmSuhayb b David said...

Now I'm wondering what Epsom salts are in Swedish, do you have the chemical name? I spose I can google it actually!

ummrashid said...

magnesium sulphate

Umm Adam said...

We grew some crystals a while back and to make it more interesting for the kids I got them to make little sculptures out of pipe cleaners ie. hearts, or their initial and put some food colouring in the water. They looked great mashaAllah. My sister, who is a chemist, also reckons that if you take a fairly large crystal, suspend it from the top of the jar with cotton and shave the sides fairly regularly it can grow quite big, to maybe a couple of centimeters. As we went for sculptures in the end we didn't get to try this so I can't say if it really works or not...

ummrashid said...

Umm Adam, this is interesting. Do I just stick the pipe cleaners into the solution, and the crystal grows on them? Should the pipecleaners be immersed, or half in half out?