Thursday, January 08, 2009

Quick learning update

U has been speding a lot of time on the computer recently, making use of our collection of CD roms for younger children. She really likes Jump Ahead French, although I wouldn't recommend it really because some parts have too much unnecessary music, unfortunately. U is very much a person who does her own thing, I ask her to join in with creative work Ia is doing, and sometimes she will, but often she has her own things to do.
Ia is currently working on a rainforest project, soon to be completed, inshAllah. Today she enjoyed watching animal clips here. It is the nice easy side of home education when you can sit with your child at the computer and just watch and discuss! Followed by some colouring in, copying out and so on.
Ia has now reached book 6A in the Peter and Jane series. I don't think the boys ever bothered to read as far as that, they wanted to read more interesting books, to explore more. Ia is reading with much more ease now, alhamdulillah, but I suspect she still believes that she cannot really read, and that she must stick to the reader. Also the whole scenario of going for walks up a hill, having tea with a friend and looking at farm animals appeals to her much more than it did to the boys.
Which reminds me of another thought that I've been having for a while now. What is learning/education? There really is no one answer to that, is there? It all depends.

3 comments:

Sofinee Harun said...

Boy and girl are different. Because you having 2 boys which the same age, you will see a big different between Ia and the boys not just because of age but their capability at the time and also it's so much different between girl and boy.

There's plenty more things you will detect, observe and see especially when they on the face where they seems grow day by day. Enjoy the experience!

UmSuhayb b David said...

It's a bit like the questions we had in my degree course in one of the first lectures 'What is communication?' and that it's something you cannot not do, if you know what I mean. If you decide to be mute you are still communicating something (i.e. I don't want to talk/ interact with you)
It depends on who is setting the agenda/ curriciulum as to whether any learning is 'useful' or not. To me learning how you defeat Egg man with sonic is not very useful, but M thinks it is. I had to discuss again yesterday with S the benefits of learning to read Quran as a child rather than leaving it until later. It's not always easy.

ummrashid said...

JazakAllahkhair for your comments.