After Ramadan I began studying the history of Musa (as) with the boys. I decided to use a notebook style. Usually we would study this on a Thursday, progressing with the story little by little, I would read the next section to them, then they would write it up.
Last Thursday we studied the section about the magicians who believed in Musa (as), after witnessing the miracles Allah (swt) allowed him to perform.
Reaching this point meant that I had only one section; the part about the punishments sent to Firawn and his people when they persisted in disbelief; before the part about how Musa (as) led his people out of Egypt, and Allah (swt) destroyed Firawn by drowning him in the Red Sea.
It was only after last Thursday's lesson that I realised that if I used the Islamic studies lesson times from this week to study this topic I could manage to be studying the destruction of Firawn on the 10th Muharram, the date on which this event occured. There is no way I could have planned things to turn out so neatly. Alhamdulillah. I was just ambling along with the project at my own pace.
Ibn Abbas has narrated that the Prophet (saw) arrived at Medina and found that the Jews fasted on the Aashura (10th Muharram). He asked, "What is the significance of your fasting on this day?" They said, "This is the day when Musa triumphed over Firawn." The Prophet (saw) said to his companions, "You have more right with Musa than they have so observe fast (on this day)." (Bukhari 4680)
Firawn, of course, was a tyrant and oppressor. He enslaved the Bani Israel and kept them as captives in the land. Seeking to control their numbers, he sent his men to slaughter the male infants.
No comments:
Post a Comment