Monday, January 26, 2009

Chemistry Set

A kindly, elderly relative sent some money for the children, so I went shopping at Curious Minds
and bought a chemistry set. (Very good service from Curious Minds, by the way.)
I had to buy a few top up items, such as distilled water and hydrogen peroxide, so after J's doctor's check (foot on mend, but still can't wear shoes) we popped into the pharmacy. With all the recent media coverage of the government's latest attempt to cast suspicion over home educators I did feel a little awkward going into a pharmacy with school age children, in school hours and buying an odd collection of items. The pharmacist did ask what I was going to use the hydrogen peroxide for, but maybe this is routine. I did, of course, explain all about the chemistry set, how I needed the distilled water so we could compare what remains on an evaporating spoon after tap water is evaporated off, and after distilled water is evaporated off. Anyway, someone who ends up as a pharmacist must have loved his chemistry set as a kid, and all the items must have made sense to him. In general I felt much more positive leaving the shop, and much less like someone sneaking about during curfew.
So, this afternoon the boys and I did several experiments, with plenty more to follow from the booklet, inshAllah.

Ia continued her shape topic today, this time dissecting hexagons to see what other shapes could be made. Learning the words "pentagon" and "quadrilateral". Followed up with some shape maths from iboard.

What did we do for English today? The boys read loads, I read several chapters of "There's No Escape" to them and they did about 50 spellings (need to review halves, not halfs etc).
Ia was keen to read today, maashAllah, and read all our level K2 Emaan Reading series readers. She also worked on the longer reading exercise on Education City.
U recited the alphabet. Later she explained to H that she knows all her letters, she just needs to know what sounds they start with...errr?


2 comments:

Umm Raiyaan said...

Salaam!

Ooh! As a non-muslim child, I received a Chemistry set for Xmas. It was the best thing ever!! I had so much fun with it. Your boys will love it insha'Allah!! Will you be writing up reports? Apparatus, hypothesis etc etc??

Wsm,
Umm Raiyaan x

ummrashid said...

Salaam,
The instruction booklet does illustrate how to keep a lab notebook, but it doesn't go as far as hypothesis yet! They are very excited about it.