Monday, January 12, 2009

Monday

What did we do today? Well, the home education journey continues, alhamdulillah, and so it was mainly more of the same! In the science session J and R finished off this lapbook on healthy bodies, which they made most of last month. This was from a Hands of a Child kit, and I think that having tried the kits now I mainly prefer to make our own lapbooks. I think the kit contents are very useful, but I much prefer the look of a child made lapbook to the printed out version. Also the children take more interest and pride in something they made themselves, as opposed to something they have filled in. The kit saves time by placing all the information together in one place, and I will use kits again, inshAllah, but I've satisfied my curiosity over them now!
Now, when the boys reach the stage of being able to design the booklets on the computer themselves, that will be something else, inshAllah. I think it is a bit too fiddly for them to have patience with at the moment though.
Also today the boys have practised Quran, touch typing, tried out multiplication tables on Excel, continued their Pashto course, read some biology, done a reading comprehension, split calculations using factors to help, played Age of Empires on their computer, read fiction books and attended cricket training.
I forgot to mention spelling, and that I read to them from "Knowing the Last Day" by Muhammad al-Jibaly.
Ia and U spent ages watching a French language DVD and trying to play the games at the end with the cumbersome remote control. Ia began some work on fractions, continued her All About Me lapbook, did her other daily bits and bobs.
For U I took a spur of the moment decision to enrol her with Education City just before the weekend. She was asking yet again to use Ia's games, which is fine for the languages, but Ia was not pleased at U messing up her games on the other subjects (as she saw it). She has used it loads since.


Sticker book fun also continues.

No comments: