Friday, January 18, 2008

Always trying to work harder!

I always intend to blog better. More interestingly, more often. But, this is what you get!
Similarly I always intend to make best use out of whatever resources I may have around. Its harder actually putting this into practice, but almost daily I'll promise myself to work harder. I don't do relaxation well. Its constantly "must work harder" that goes on in my head.
Long ago, before printers, there were transfers. Remember those? If you wanted printed lettering you lined up the transfer sheets and rubbed the letters onto the page. Kids had transfers as alternatives to stickers. I still have some, given to me by grandfather, so they must be at least 25 years old! Ia had fun with them yesterday, rubbing the letters onto the page. So 25 years on they work as well as they did new. Unlike my printer, which never worked properly and now doesn't at all.
Ia also read a couple of her easy readers. I'm using a set from Oxford Reading Tree called "Songbirds". U has memorised a lot of the words and, keen to be involved, she often says the words before Ia gets a chance to read them. This is annoying to Ia, I'll need to start sneaking off from U to do reading with Ia.
Over the last couple of weeks the boys have had a focus on Surah Masad. This began with a study session another sister did with them on the tafsir of the surah. Following that up I did some extra work on it with them using the Iqra Short Surahs workbooks, and they recited the surah frequently too. This week they had another study session with the sister where they wrote out the translation of the surah onto coloured paper and decorated the page with cut outs of flames, silvery discs to represent the wealth of Abu Lahab, and a twisted string to represent the palm-fibre rope. the result looks really good, mashAllah, and we've stuck them on the wall.

3 comments:

'EF' said...

Well, it's all relative. I come to your blog to read how home ed can be done...and it always seems to me that you work at a relaxed industrious pace that really does put a lot of us to shame! I come away from learning of your home ed activities vowing to do better myself :)

WOW about the first flowers poking through already...have I missed the deepest winter again? We are still waiting for snow.

UmSuhayb b David said...

Ooh a pop up just came up that you've posted me a comment! that's bizarre! DH's old compass from school (to draw circles type thing) is a source of fascination although a bit on the dangerous side..
I was re reading some of my blog (just to see how H was at Biryani's age ), and M was doing the same thing to S as you describe is happening when Ia is trying to read!

ummrashid said...

Relaxed industrious! I really like that! Although I wouldn't have thought to phrase it like that myself, those words do sum up what I'm aiming for. I've got to make sure its a reality though!
umsuhayb, interesting about the reading!