Today I began reading “The Treasure Seekers” by E Nesbit to the boys, after their morning read of stories of the sahabah. Although my boys do enjoy reading themselves, Alhamdulillah, sometimes the type of funny or adventure stories they prefer are quite simple in their vocabulary and style. This helps the boys whizz through the story, but I’m not sure how much good it does for their vocabulary or comprehension skills!
Some time ago I read the “Silver Sword” to them, so it’s about time they heard something else. They really enjoyed the first two chapters this morning. It really is a funny book. Also there is lots to read between the lines, so good practice at deducing meaning. For example when the next door neighbour finds a half crown coin in the hole the children dug seeking treasure, and then he amazingly finds another, we are expected to understand that the neighbour placed those coins there to be found, although this is not explicitly stated. As I’m reading it to them we can talk about these things as they come up. Otherwise it might pass them by!
No comments:
Post a Comment