Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Islamic Studies in Ramadan

Since my self critique session over Islamic studies at the weekend I have sourced out some more interesting approaches for the boys. Alhamdulillah, may Allah reward those people who take the time and effort to post their work and ideas online, and from whom I learn so much.
I also spent some concentration time working out a post- Ramadan shedule, so now I'm no longer wondering how I'm going to fit everything in. For now though we continue with a scaled down approach.
SubhanAllah, one third of Ramadan has already passed! Today for Islamic Studies the boys read an article on advice for a beneficial Ramadan. I set them a task consisting of copying out a hadith; a few comprehension style questions, to ensure they understood the text, and then I asked them to take points from the article and compile a list of 10 things they could do now to improve their observance of Ramadan, inshAllah. I try to scale the Islamic Studies down to a level at which they can realistically hope to implement what they are learning. So, although the article recommended performing Umrah in Ramadan, for example, I would not want them to include this on their list as it is not something they can actually do at the moment. They can however observe prayers on time, read Quran, try to avoid losing their tempers etc. I think this is important, as Islamic knowledge needs to be implemented and lived, not carried around as information only. For this reason I try to extract the aspects of Islamic learning most relevant to them, at their stage of life. This is not always easy, and that was part of the cause of my weekend confusion!

No comments: