Sunday, September 13, 2009

In the library again

We have self service machines in the library. When we arrive I return all the books, while the kids go off to choose more. It takes a while because we have a lot of books to return and because the machine does not recognise all books at the first attempt. A small queue of children stands right behind me, each child clutching their one or two books, while I apparently return half the library.
Later I have to check out the other half of the library. J does his own pile of books, then I get to work with the girls' cards. Behind me two little boys stand, with their two Horrible History books, one says "Look at all those books, how is anyone going to read all that?"
What is wrong with the children of this town? How do they not go into a library and want to help themselves to everything, or at least their full quota of 15 books per ticket? Even if they don't want to read, they could look at the amazing pictures of the natural world, or anything else.
What has happened to them to make them think that two books is enough at one time and that 30 books looks like a lot???? And those are the kids who are actually in the library.

4 comments:

UmSuhayb b David said...

there is actually no limit on our library card here, just the limit of space in the buggy! but books now are replaced with computer games for many kids (including my own although they do have their phases of being into reading) I read on a blog somewhere of a mother who as a child was told off for reading too much and should go outside more!

Umm Raiyaan said...

Salaam

Three words: 'COMPUTER and TV '.

Umm Raiyaan x

Umm Tafari said...

I thought that I was reading a post on my blog, lol. You sound just like us at the library, masha Allah except for the fact that we have six library cards and are allowed to check out 50 on each card! My husband gets a bit upset when we bring home so many books though because it is a little difficult to keep track of all of them.

ummrashid said...

Imagine standing at the self service machine to check out 300 books!!!!
We can't usually take our full quota anyway, as it is too much to carry.