Thursday, July 31, 2008

Crafts and animals

Today's still weather made it a day for painting outside on large pieces of paper.
Ia did lots of work today, maashAllah. Sometimes it is a good reminder to look through a child's old work and realise that lots of progress has been made. Things that Ia struggled with a few months ago are now much easier for her, alhamdulillah.
Today we talked a little about animals, one of her favourite topics. We discussed how Allah is Al-Khaliq, The Creator, and how animals are of different types. Some animals Allah permits us to eat, ride or use for other tasks (ploughing, guarding), and some animals are wild. Ia sorted and stuck cut-out pictures of animals into these categories. We need to respect the rights of animals and treat them properly.
Many of the ideas I will be using with Ia, inshAllah, are taken from work which the boys did at her age. At that time I was working a lot with other sisters, so many of these ideas are not my own but I know they won't mind me sharing their good ideas with you.

These are the craft pieces the girls made at their art and craft session the other day. The white base is half a pizza base wrapper. As the session teacher pointed out it keeps its shape really well when sewn on with a tapestry needle, and is easier to use than a plastic grid because the needle can go through anywhere. I almost never buy that type of pizza, but if I ever do I'll be saving the base wrapper for needlecraft!

No comments: