Thursday, May 22, 2008

When and how?

I've started getting Ia to read from a "Talha and Asma" book every evening before she goes to bed. The Talha and Asma books are a copy of Ladybird's Peter and Jane, except that I think they only made the first three books. I started the boys with Peter and Jane, as I had started myself as a child, I actually still have the old copies I learnt to read from. Just as I did with the boys I get her to read one new page, plus the previous pages every evening. I think that the time is good. U sits and reads her own books to herself at this time, before she lies down to sleep, so she does not disturb Ia and also Ia herself is not thinking about doing anything else at that time. Then when she has read I read something else of her choice to her, then they recite a surah, say their dua and sleep. (Usually).
Yesterday I continued work connected to Surah Al-Zalzalah with the boys. As the surah speaks about the events around the coming of the Last Hour I thought this would be an opportunity to go through the major and minor signs of the Hour, listing them down briefly. One of the minor signs is that there will be an increase in earthquakes, so we looked up news pictures of the recent Chinese earthquake, and thought about other earthquakes which have occured in the past few years. By using a cross curricular approach like this I hope, inshAllah, that what we study from the Quran will stick in our minds for longer! Accessing information is not a problem in this era of the web, but retaining information remains as challenging as ever, if not more challenging I think!

No comments: