Monday, May 12, 2008

Balancing garden, home.......

Although, as I mentioned in my last post, I don't tend to mention much about non-HE matters in this blog, I have read a little from other people in the last few days about how they manage their household tasks, and their words do give me a boost! Somehow the idea of other people buzzing about their homes changing sheets, doing laundry and whatever makes me more inclined to get on with things myself. This is especially helpful on days when the workload seems overwhelming. The growing season in the garden means lots of weeds popping up everywhere, it can feel like a race to quell them before they take over. Similar to the sprouting of dirty dishes in the kitchen and toys from the carpets.
So, in a break from the norm, over the weekend I have......
...actually, no, I can't remember it that clearly, but it did involve taking shears to some overgrown grass, using the handpush mower on the shorter stuff, planting marigolds and other bedding and...

Enough of that. Last night the snails munched the best sunflower. There one minute, gone the next. There is one survivor of the giant sunflowers, will it be there tomorrow, or will the massacre continue? I planted some more seeds in large pots today. They won't get so big in there as they should, but at least they'll get a better chance of survival. By the way, I don't want to use chemicals on the snails, I'm not protecting food crops I need for my survival.


Back to some HE today. The boys studied the tafsir of Surah Al-Qariah, and made a poster of the meaning, with some illustrations of fire. They also did maths, wrote a mini essay on the treatment of the character Janus in the Wheel on the School, read Quran, listened to me read to them about Abu Bakr (ra) and went cycling.
The girls did painting, played with ink stamps, played role play games and messed about in the garden.
Finally, they all went to bed by nine, in the hope that they might get up earlier tomorrow and we might not have such a slow start to the mornings. InshAllah.
Having written all this, don't we live in such a bubble? May Allah save us from the tests of earthquakes, cyclones, intertribal violence, civil war. Alhamdulillah, I am grateful for a messy house.



No comments: