When you are looking carefully at what children are learning, (and you don't need to be home educating to do that) you can see all the different types of learning that go on all the time.
This time last year I was always rushing around. We had lots of activities to attend, in different places, at different times, some for us all, some for only the boys, or only Ia. That was one way of living, it was busy, fun, tiring, almost non-stop!
Now things are different. In some ways better, in some ways not so good, alhamdulillah, it doesn't matter, things always change and move on. But one interesting difference is that now the children have more time to learn about daily life than before. Does it seem strange? Maybe it is me. Before I felt so busy that I had no time to let them share in the day to day running of things. You just assume they pick things up, the names of vegetables, the way we order meat in the butcher's shop, how things are cooked. But I was reminded recently of how this isn't always the case. If you feel too busy or tired to let them participate in these things they may miss out on what is under their noses! My children were missing out on that, and yet I was home educating them.
Now I know that the boys know the prices of various foodstuffs, they know the different ways in which meat is bought, they know how bread and cakes are made. They know it takes time! And there are other things too, but somehow I'm only remembering the food related examples this evening! The difference is that now I have time to let them look around at all this.
Some children are excellent in these life skills. If I have trouble with my internet connection one day I know a couple of ten year olds I can call on for help. Alhamdulillah.
1 comment:
Well, you are right. The education is actually every where and whenever in your life.
When the children used to go to school and I was busy working, I never actually teach them properly. But, knowledge that they got out of school and surround the house is actually amazing.
It is sometimes don't need to be too formal and life is just about learning every single minute.
Post a Comment