Thursday, March 27, 2008

When should we redo the whole thing?

We continued the farming project today using the information at Court Lodge Organics. It has a series of interesting video clips from around the farm. I wrote down a few questions based on the information there, and the boys had to look through to find the answers.
Yesterday the boys wrote a story, it was a continuation of a story in the textbook. They did ok on it, but there was obvious room for improvement. I have never actually asked them to rewrite a whole story before, for fear of putting them off. Also I don't want to give the impression that what they have done is wrong. It was not wrong, just it could be even better. But, it has to begin sometime. In fact, they surprised me. They did redo the whole thing, adding improvements, getting a much better result. There was a bit of grumbling, but I think they saw the benefit of it. And, yes, they did both need to do similar improvements. I don't just lump them together like this for convenience, they really are very, very similar.
What else? Ia did some comparison of lengths, this time with a 30cm ruler, she also filled in the gaps on a simple children's poem (copying from the original), and decorated it for display.
The girls played out in the garden, while I dug out the ground elder from under the skimmia bush. (The toad has moved on, leaving a little bowl shaped dip in the soil). There was warmth in the sun.
Sorry I'm a bit scatty here. I've had some odd conversations with different people today leaving me with the feeling....is it just me?....or...

No comments: