Thursday, May 21, 2009

Wider reading

The girls have been spending lots of time on creative play with lego these last couple of days. When they get engrossed in something like that I don't like to disturb them, so Ia ends up doing her daily work later in the day.
From time to time I shedule some non-fiction reading into the daily task lists. This doesn't include Islamic reading, which we do a little of each morning. By Islamic reading I mean that I read a little from an Islamic book. It is like a daily reminder or refresher. Sometimes we read about the lives of the Prophets (as) or the Seerah, or at other times it is topics on imaan or tawheed or reminders about Islamic behaviour and so on. The whole range really. This is as good for me as it is for the children. Actually, they tend to remember more details than I do.
Other non-fiction reading will usually be of library books related to topics we are currently studying. The boys have been reading about marine life, habitats and Vikings and Aztecs this week. The further a person goes with their studies the more independent wider, research reading they have to do, so I take the view that the foundation for such reading habits can be built up from early on.

2 comments:

Umm Tafari said...

As salaam alaikum,

You sound like you are a very patient mother, masha Allah. I admire that you let the girls finish their "project" and do not distrub them to do their bookwork. Definitely something that I need to work on, insha Allah.

ummrashid said...

Walaykumsalaam,
Overall I don't see myself as patient at all!