Friday, May 22, 2009

Friday

It has been quite an intense week, what with all the reviewing and planning, so I need a nice, refreshing picture to top this post.
Ia has been practising her skipping today. She needs to improve in skipping in order to pass her next gymnastics badge, inshAllah. Her skipping is the only thing she needs to work on, as she has now mastered the headstand, alhamdulillah.

Today the boys did some making mixtures experiments to find out about substances that mix together and those that do not. The book told us to use food colouring in the mixtures. Above is ammonia and vegetable oil, not that you can actually tell from the photo!
Also today the boys finished the English language textbook we've been using for this year. The final piece of work was to rewrite a passage, changing it from first person and present tense into third person and past tense. I'll continue the weekly ten minute spelling work for a while longer but take a break from other English language work until the autumn, inshAllah. I expect they'll do some of their own creative writing between now and then, as it is something they enjoy, and of course the reading continues, inshAllah.
Maths is the main outstanding subject this year, as it was last year. The programme I'm following has a lesson for every school day of the year. I'm only about 1 week behind shedule at the moment, but compared to other subjects it seems a lot is still left to do. Last year I ended up having a maths week when we just did several maths lessons every day, just to get it done!
I'm not planning to use the same programme with the boys next year, but then it will be Ia's turn to start using the materials instead!
Anyway, next week is school half term holiday here and the boys already have a fully booked week of sporting activities to look forward to, maashAllah. Can't decide what to do with the girls yet. Maybe some art and craft, inshAllah.


No comments: