Monday, May 11, 2009

Animal Classification Monday

The boys are doing an animal classification topic at the moment in science. We usually do our science topic on a Monday. Today they made the free animal classification lapbook from Homeschool Share. Yes, we did do the whole thing in one session, but it was easy for them, as the information was not new. It seemed a neat way of summarising key facts. We are also covering this topic with a textbook section, and wider reading of library books, although we did neither of those today. Ia also did some of the lapbook, although for her I stuck to vertebrates only.
Because this was a quick job I did not want to make a proper lapbook of it, instead I used a lap'n'note style in a ring binder again. I like this style, it is useful for when you don't want to do a full length lapbook study, but would like to make use of a few lapbook ideas to illustrate or highlight a few facts.
Later the girls went out to play in the garden again. They made themselves little notebooks and went around the garden "spotting" and noting down what they "saw". Why the inverted commas? They noted down blue whales, basking sharks, Siberian tigers.... So it was a game rather than real nature journaling. But it did lead to some independent writing from Ia, and some lines of letters from U, plus lots of laughs, maashAllah.
And I enjoyed looking round the garden. Alhamdulillah.








1 comment:

UmSuhayb b David said...

reminds me of Biryani's insistance that the rabbit footprints in the snow last Winter were monkey footprints! mashAllah, flowers are looking beautiful.