Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Work and play balance



So far this week the kids have been able to spend lots of time with friends, alhamdulillah. Yesterday friends came to us, today we were the ones to go out visiting. Ia and her friend decided to do matching colouring pictures, with lots of glitter too. As you can see the two girls co-operated closely on their work, maashAllah! I think they were just let down a bit by some of the felt tips running out. By the way, the sheet is about putting the right shoe on first.

These meet ups with friends have been in the late afternoons, so we've been getting the work done in good time.

Today the boys began by finding out their pulse rates. We compared their pulses while lying down, then after gentle walking, then after lots of running. R also managed to take the cat's pulse, at least he thinks he did.

Next they did some English work, finding out some information about football, and writing a brief report on it. I'm thinking of making some time table changes to our English work, probably reducing the number of days I include it in the plan, allowing more time for the other subjects. After all they can easily develop their English skills through the other subjects, and since adding the Pashto work the timetable can feel a bit crowded.

Also today, for Islamic studies, we made use of the new TJ unit on the month of Muharram.

Ia did her usual work, bit of workbook, bit of lapbook, bit of Education City, reading, Quran.

I am grateful for this pleasant and productive day, alhamdulillah, although there is something strange about such normality, in the face of the ongoing horror in Gaza.

2 comments:

UmSuhayb b David said...

jazakiAllhakhair for putting TJ link about Muharram and may Allah reward the sister runningthat site amin. I thought S would be most interested (There was already some discussion about the Shia side which did cause some interest and led on to talking about bidah a bit) but in the end it was M who wanted to do some of the actual work! As often is the case I'm learning as much if not more than them, alhamdulillah

ummrashid said...

Yes, the TJ site is excellent, isn't it.