Monday, December 22, 2008

What is a normal day?

If I'm going to describe a normal day, I'll have to start by pointing out that normal days vary with the seasons, and the amount of time we can have outdoors. Here I'm going to talk about a normal weekday in the winter.
On a normal day we stay home, do not have visitors and we do home ed. On other slightly less normal days, we stay home, have visitors and do home ed. This may happen once or twice a week. (Not including weekends).
So a normal day starts with me doing breakfast. If I'm not feeling lazy I'll cook something, maybe scones or pancakes. The boys read at breakfast and the girls cover the tables with small toys. After that the girls often go to play and the boys do some computer based work; at the moment it is often listening to an audio clip, then using the Rosetta Stone Pashto course. I usually read aloud to the boys at this time too.
Then we start on the lessons for the day. I have a list of what we are going to do, but I let them choose the order in which it is done. The boys usually start first, then Ia will come down and do something. Then the boys will go off for a break and I'll just be working with Ia, and it just alternates like that through the day. If the weather is good enough the boys might kick a football round the muddy garden for a while.
We stop for lunch and prayer breaks, and at the moment Quran work is being done just after Zuhr.
I try to vary what is actually done in each subject area. Sometimes in science, for example, we'll be working on a lapbook, sometimes they'll be doing questions from the textbook, sometimes an online activity or a worksheet I've taken from the internet, set reading or something practical.
Also on a normal day there will often be some physical education activity to attend in "after school" time. So some of us go out to that.
What about the housework? I do bits and bobs in between lessons, or while the children are working on a maths page or whatever. Mostly just the basics, washing up, laundry. I do the main clean at the weekend. I also snatch bits of time on the computer.
Then almost before I know it it is the evening and I need to do dinner, wash up some more, tidy up, get kids to bed, read aloud to the girls, bake, do planning, blog, clean the kitchen, then that is it, go to sleep!
A normal day at home is dominated by the work shedule! We usually start around 9am, and go on to 4 or 4:30pm. We don't work continuously through this period, not all the three bigger ones will be working at the same time all the time.
What I like about home ed, apart from being with my children, and always learning, is that I can just be myself. I think that is why I found the workplace so emotionally exhausting, all that keeping up the act! But a normal day for me, at home, doing the home ed, is a day of me just being myself and enjoying the company of my favourite people. Alhamdulillah. Really such a blessing to have these normal days.

3 comments:

UmSuhayb b David said...

This is the an answer to the question many thinking about doing home ed must have. When I'm thinking that nothing's being achieved in the day, I remember the title of your blog, mashAllah!

Umm Raiyaan said...

Salaam,

I so love this post masha'Allah. You said you just love being you, and masha'Allah that is exactly how I feel. I loved learning and a child and I love the fact that I can try and instill that love for learning within my kids. :) We must appreciate the fact that we can home ed. Sometimes I wonder if my husband were to die, what would I do then (as happened with one sister who had to stop home ed and support her family by going back to work!)

Wsm,
Umm Raiyaan

p.s. going to be out of internet for a while due to moving home, but once I'm back on, can't wait to keep reading your posts! Keep them coming sis, you truly are an inspiration, masha'Allah.

ummrashid said...

Salaam,
You mentioned what would you have to do if your husband were to die...I think about that often too. I make lots of dua that I'll be able to continue this home education journey.