Friday, December 26, 2008

Review of the week

It has been an odd week. Plans were made, then unexpectedly changed.
The boys enjoyed attending two football fun days, during which time I had planned to do more with just the girls, but I got a bad cold, and had to scale down my expectations to match my reduced abilities!
Then there was the issue of the car, which you may recall went out of action the day before Eid, and was finally declared unfixable. H had to trade it in, and is still waiting to collect its replacement. We certainly were not expecting that.
We've also had guests, and today H has borrowed a car to visit his relatives, (as postponed from Eid). The car can't fit all of us in it, so U and I stayed home. This morning we went out to the park.
So, does all this mean that the home education timetable, carefully scribbled out on to task sheets last weekend, went out of the window? Of course NOT, alhamdulillah. Obviously today I have had to abandon the plan, but the rest of the week we've squeezed the timetable around the rest of the goings on.
As posted below Ia finished the Elmer lapbook, and she's continued to add bits to the rainforest project. I have found this to be an excellent way of working on a factual topic with Ia. While she colours in, or cuts out bits of lapbook stuff we talk about the rainforest topic. The book on the rainforest comes out at every session, while we recheck bits of information, or decide what colour to shade the flowers in. I have read that whole book through to her, but this frequent revisiting really helps to secure the topic, making it something familiar. The process of making things during these revisits prevents them from becoming boring. Alhamdulillah, this really works with Ia.
The boys have been continuing to work through their various subjects. They are learning about the heart at the moment in science and this week they used this excellent link to learn more about the circulatory system. I think the explanation on that is really clear.
In their private reading they've finished reading the Great Explorers book, and are now reading the "Usborne Encyclopedia of Planet Earth", (both recently given to them).
Now I'll just get back to my extremely over quiet day with U.

No comments: