Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Science link

I was looking around for some activities on forces and friction today when I found Engineering Interact. It seems good, plenty of information, but clear, with reasonably challenging questions. The boys complained the unit the worked through was too long, but then science isn't really their favourite anyway. They did finish it, of course!
For our history topic at the moment we are studying Yusuf (as).Having read through the Goodward "Tell Me About" book by themselves I decided that next I would read the Ibn Kathir Tafsir to them, so we will take that a little at a time, inshAllah, with simplification where necessary. I think I'm working towards some kind of review project at the end of the reading!
Ia has been looking at area today. Very simple of course. We used the palm of her hand as a unit of area, made a cut out of it, then found items with a smaller, similar and larger surface area than her hand. I made a table up for her, as I did last week with the lengths, and she recorded what she found with drawings.
Overall it has been a busy day, alhamdulillah. Giving the boys a bigger breakfast has helped with routine, in fact I use the longer time it takes them to eat it as the opportunity to read to them. Then, while the boys go upstairs to get dressed Ia and U can listen to Quran, until the boys are back for their recitation time. And after that... where does the day go?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow what a great blog sis, I don't know how you find time mashaAllah.

My boys also enjoyed the Interact site and worked through most of the units in one hit - science is their absolute favorite. If only I could get them to write......

We also do big breakfasts to keep us all going and it really does work..... I also needed to put a stop to, or at least delay, the hourly hunger pangs of my 3 boys mashaAllah. Not only was it time consuming but I often found I would 'lose' them afterwards. Eggs, toast and baked beans seems to be the favourite breakfast choice at the moment and has been known to keep them going until well after dhur.

ummrashid said...

Yes, well I don't have a problem with the writing, alhamdulillah. It seems that usually there is a preference for reading and writing OR science and maths.
Hourly hunger pangs...yes I identify with that. We do eggs and pancakes. Baked beans are good, except no one here likes them, but maybe I should look at beans in other forms...
Jazakallahkhair Umm Adam and UmmSuhayb for your input.

Sofinee Harun said...

Ummrashid,

I change my url for my blog. click on US to get to the new link. Thanks.

Oum Anas said...

Assalamu aleikum

I did a post on the importance of a good
breakfast in Ramadan

We do cereals, porridge, eggs, omellette, boiled eggs, drop scones, toast, hot sandwiches 'pizza' (hubby does merguez sometimes - ugh). Or we have bread with a choice of jams, labne (thick 'greek' style yoghurt) with olives, za'tar (mix of herbs, sesame seeds, salt and olive oil), honey, butter and cheese (inc. goat's cheese), sometimes cucumbers and tomatoes.

Fava beans dip (foul mdammes) and hummus bi-tahhineh (chick-pea dip), is nice for breakfast.

Think mezze and smorgas-bord.

Stuff like pancakes, drop scones, waffles, moroccan pancakes, etc, I find a bit time-consuming.