This morning I received a lapbook handbook, (The Ultimate Lapbook Handbook, by Duby and Regeling) I had ordered from Stimulus Learning. Its been a few years since I heard about lapbooks. I always like to look at new ideas, but I have to say that at that time I was put off by the words "fold" and manipulatives" with which the lapbooks were always described. A few years ago the idea of asking my boys to do anything remotely fiddly involving tearable materials gave me thoughts of tantrums, ripping up of work and so on. But now they are much more able with these things, and also Ia loves to make things from paper, so I thought it was time to investigate the lapbook further.
I have to say the book is very practical. The instructions are no way as alarming as an origami diagram. Thinking of assembling something called a "fold" is much simpler than the word suggests. Any one seasoned in lapbooks may be laughing at this, but seriously, to me the idea of a "folded manipulative" sounds about as appealing as instructions for flatpack furniture. It's a question of words and presentation!!!
I looked through the book, and the ideas were jumping at me! I want to try all sorts of books now! I love their idea of studying literature through project work, and I think this would work well for tafsir too, picking out the key points as notes from extended reading. I can also see the value for remembering key vocabulary and concepts in science, something that I'd been thinking about a lot earlier in the year. So, lets see what happens with this. The first subject should be the history of Prophet Yusuf (as). InshAllah we will finish reading the tafsir sometime next week, then we should go back, review and work on this lapbook thing!
Its been another good day for gardening today, alhamdulillah. Just weeding and starting to clear an overgrown, out of control area. The boys had a go with the spade, but returned to their scooters, garden hockey and football after a while.
Ia has completed all the reception level maths activities on Education City. I only subscribed for her, as I feel she would benefit most. Maths is her strong point at the moment, and she remembers science stuff too. Recently we were walking around the streets when she told me that she had just seen a nice plant which was all covered over by something else, "I don't think it can get enough water or sunlight," she said, "so I think it might die." It wasn't that she understood the idea that surprised me but that she expressed it in those terms.
1 comment:
My friend also told me about lapbook and she show me how her daughter working on it on lots of subject. I was thinking to get it too as all my children on to art and craft. But, still didnt get ot yet till now.
Looks like I had to order one now.
I will join the ring when my blog ready because I still had a problem with this particular person which had so much interest but at the same time send such an abusive comment which I had rejected recently. I still try to work it out. Otherwise I might need to change to invited reader. It's ashamed because the most important reader was a among family in Malaysia which going to give them a bit of extra if they had to log in.
Please make dua.
You might notice it's ummi not us.
Post a Comment