Ia and U have been busy with painting, drawings for the scrapbook, puzzles, computer ed, helping make biscuits and play. Ia has also been doing some subtraction work and she made a rods staircase and copied it onto squared paper. Ia works best in the morning, so it is nice when she wakes first and we get some work done together quietly before U gets up.
As for the boys, well, we finished our lapbook project on the Prophet Yusuf (as). I will blog a proper description of it before long, inshAllah. We've also finished reading "The Wheel On the School". There is just so much to discuss and think about in connection to that book that I spent today's English session studying the main characters and their roles in the story. This was a way of looking at the function of characters in moving the plot forward. I will continue to study the book in our English sessions until I'm satisfied we've covered it. Before I began reading the book I was planning to go with the lapbook project laid out in the Lapbook Handbook, but now that I have read the book through I don't want to be limited to that plan, there is just so much more to gain from the text. Anyway this makes me realise that I'm really not the sort of person who should go spending money on ready made curricula, I'll only need to change it all the time. (Exception to this is maths). I should just continue to do what I usually do, look through the layouts other people put forward then DIY the rest.
For our daily reading I've now moved to "Those Promised Paradise", another in Noura Durkee's series on the Sahabah. I do have that short story "Oranges in No Mans Land" waiting in the wings, but one fiction at a time I think, to keep the mind clear. Well, my planning mind anyway, the boys read one story book after another anyway, they read in the morning, at mealtimes, when they should be going to bed....alhamdulillah.
No comments:
Post a Comment