Friday, February 08, 2008

February Sunshine



Another flower emerges, subhanAllah. Again, I have no idea what it is yet. It closes up its petals as the sun goes down.

This afternoon the weather was so lovely, maashAllah, that we abandoned work to play in the garden. I clipped the conifer hedge and began digging up and relocating some edging bricks along the path. I'm trying to eliminate small patches of grass which are awkward to mow.

All in all in these past few days there have been people to see, phone calls to make and resources to research, so less organised education going on. I do like structure, because I love to plan, research and so on, but I don't feel the need to implement the structure over us as if it were a burden. Sometimes plans don't work out, but then I just adapt them! Since we finished the mountains topic we have not done any geography, except some research into the Dead Sea one day. I'm trying to find another topic to go with. My method for this is to just look around at possible topic ideas and wait for one to stand out as interesting, then I check that there are materials to back it up. I quite like the idea of looking at food and farming, where food is grown, how it is transported and so on. Once I've settled on that I think about how to present our findings, should it be Powerpoint, scrapbook, folder? One project each, or a joint effort? Joint effort is good but often results in one person doing one section , while the other pays no attention until it is time to read it back. I think to myself, what skills will be used to organise and present this work?

I just do think this way. As a child I was one of those who arranged her bookshelves in alphabetical order (outsize books separately), and then set myself the challenge of reading through the whole lot in order, whether I enjoyed the story or not. Later I made out a numbering system, and index list for all books. I also organised holiday task schemes for my sister and friend. Not that we ever finished them.

Alhamdulillah. Please make dua for anyone you know who is in difficulty right now.

2 comments:

Sofinee Harun said...

Assalamualaikum,

Nice to read your story. I'm just started home school 4 of my children as well. Sometimes it seem very hard. To know and read your story give me a lots of motivation. May Allah make it easy for us..

UmSuhayb b David said...

about the alphabeticla ordering of books and trying to read them all, that sounds familiar!? I don't think I got round to making a file about them though. MashaAllah organisation learnt from an early age.
My older sister used to make up 'work' for me to do in the holidays, and M has done for H (and me!) in the form of making his own workbooks.