Friday, February 22, 2008

The Coconut



To cover the history of the Prophet Shu'ayb (as) we are making a "storyboard" to go on the wall. Yesterday we divided the account into eight points. For each we will, inshAllah, draw and write a poster so that when they are displayed they tell the story. More on that when it is done inshAllah.

The highlight of the morning was the arrival of a coconut (the brown hairy type) in the fruit and vegetable delivery. Now, I have never had to deal with such a coconut before, and I did not know what to do with it. The kids tried striking it with butter knives, to no effect. So I butchered it with a meat cleaver. This took a long time and so much husk flew around the kitchen that I'm sure to be finding bits of it in odd corners for months to come. The kids drank the juice, mixed with other fruit juice, and we munched on coconut. A new experience for us all. (There must be a better way.)

For the rest of the day's work the boys used the Iqra workbook to study tasfir of Surah Kafiroon, we started the activities from the Farming Matters activity book I downloaded from FACE, Ia did bits of workbooks and a collage with old wrapping paper, and so on and so on. Alhamdulillah.

1 comment:

UmSuhayb b David said...

DH has bought coconuts on occasion and I seem to remember a hammer was involved! I tend to stay away from these things, I find pineapples enough of a problem, even withthe special cutter I have!