Thursday, February 28, 2008

History and Rhymes


This post could also be called "Racing the clock", because that is what it has felt like today! I've just been home, but when I'm in planning mode I just can't get things done fast enough!

Today we finished the storyboard project on Prophet Shu'ayb (as). We had a sequence of 8 points for the story. After that we went through the verses of the Quran relating to Shu'ayb (as), using Ibn Kathir, finding within them examples of Shu'ayb (as) fulfilling the duties of prophets. (Calling to Tawheed, Warning, Speaking Out, Guiding the people etc.).

We listed 10 duties and noted down the Quran references to go with each.


Ia had a friend over again. (This is spoiling her really, alhamdulillah!). Today we did some work on rhymes. I began by reading them a phonics reader, containing lots of rhyming words. Then we remembered the rhyming words, using context clues from the story. I listed them on the whiteboard, then pointed out the spelling pattern, they all ended with OG. Then the children each read through the list. Ia doesn't read yet, but as she can do initial sounds, and I prompted her, she could read them through. Then we found other short rhyming words, and listed them. They were coming out with lots of rhymes by this time, alhamdulillah! We played odd one out, with me saying aloud a set of words, one of which did not rhyme, and they had to spot which it was. Then we played with a set of rhyme flashcards I have.

After that it was on to more pattern block creations!

No comments: