Following on from dissolving. Each glass contains water as near saturated with salt as we could get. Between the glasses is a cotton thread. By capillary action the water moves along the thread, then evaporates, leaving salt crystals behind. We have observed the salt left behind from where the water splashes evaporated from the outside of the glass. There is also salt on the thread. The experiment book says leave it for a day or two, and the saucer is in case enough salt gathers to drop down. I kind of doubt that will happen! The instructions said use a thread, but will enough water travel along a thread? Would something thicker be better as more absorbent? Maybe we can try this later. Today I wanted the boys to set up the experiment from the book themselves, as they need the practice at reading and following instructions. They can be so eagar to get a result that they mess it up by not checking what they are supposed to be doing. They also did another experiment holding a cold, dry spoon over hot coffee and finding that the droplets collected were not coffee flavoured.
Also today we read the tafsir from Ibn Kathir on Surah Al-Kawther, following up work from a week ago.Then they wrote a paragraph in their own words on what they had learnt.
Ia spent the day largely on the computer. I refound my iboard subscription and arranged for its renewal. I really would recommend that site, or "online club" as they call it, for children aged 4 to 7. Ia happily returns to those activities again and again. There is lots of room for narrative exploration, and whatever the teaching objective is it is clearly and effectively met, in my opinion. The home use subscription rate is very reasonable, and you can use a free trial first.
I was hoping to get more time in the garden today, but after the days outside the kids seemed to be missing their indoor games, and I only got a little weeding done. A garden is always a work in progress, as they say on "Gardeners World" (TV programme), but then once you think about it almost everything is a work in progress (never finished), housework, learning, improving imaan and remembering Allah better.
No comments:
Post a Comment