Saturday, November 14, 2009

Enjoying the weather?

Today the girls and I set out in the wind and rain, off to an art workshop in the town, and of course to visit the library. It was a day for being fully kitted out in waterproofs, and we were, alhamdulillah. Even the library book bag got a waterproof jacket made out of a large carrier bag.
The workshop was OK. It was about puppet making. The actual tasks were very simple, and nothing more than what we have done at home before (sock puppets, finger puppets). While I was there I was trying to weigh up whether or not it was worth attending, especially considering the weather and the fact that H had to pick us up afterwards in order that I could get home in time for Asr.
Ia certainly enjoyed the session, she can't get enough of that type of thing, wherever the location, maashAllah. U enjoyed it for the first hour, but then she got fed up again, as she usually does. She is not as interested in art/craft as Ia.
The main advantage is that they are in a group environment and taking instructions from someone else. The leader of this session was very well organised and clear in her presentation. Of course they get something like this every week in swimming and gym classes, and whenever we are able to attend other one off workshops or events, but today's workshop forms part of that picture, and for that reason is probably worth it. Alhamdulillah.

3 comments:

Umm Tafari said...

As salaam alaikum,
We attended an art workshop today as well, masha Allah. My girls also enjoy arts/crafts especially away from the babies at home! Now that I read your post, I can also see where it is good for them to take instruction from someone other than me as well. I enjoy it b/c I don't have to organize it and get all the materials which may never happen if they waited for me to do the same activity.

UmSuhayb b David said...

I suppose it helps having some new resources, and someone else to clear up, and maybe just a change of scene. BTW I usually combine asr and dhuhr at this time of the year if having to go out where nowhere convenient to pray. There's only about 1 and a half hours for each prayer time (Dhuhr and Asr) so can be tricky otherwise. (sorry I can't remember which scholar made this ruling)

ummrashid said...

Assalamualaykum,
nice to hear from you both!