There are so many decisions to be taken over what to learn, how and when. There are so many different ways of going about learning. Now that the boys are 10 they are learning about topics in more depth than they were at say, 7, so it takes a lot longer to go through a topic. This is a good thing as I certainly don't have the worry that their learning is superficial, but on the other hand spending longer on one topic leaves less time for something else and this leads to the wondering about when we will do "something else"?
That home educator doubt...the "Could we be doing better.?".....I don't think it ever goes away. There are really no good solutions for this except for just giving up on the wondering, worrying and indecision, and I'm not likely to do that! The reality is that noone can cover everything, and why would anyone want to?
To compensate for all this, and to offer some comfort is General Knowledge. Because if you are sampling some general knowledge here and there you are surely learning all sorts of everything, and that has to help.
At the moment General Knowledge is coming from www.brainpop.co.uk which the boys are using regularly, and to which the girls listen in. Sometimes J has decided to explain something to me and I find myself asking, "Did you learn that on Brain Pop?" Even when the answer is "no" I'm sure some credit has to go there for the manner of explaining something, which J seems to have picked up, alhamdulillah.
No comments:
Post a Comment