Friday, November 13, 2009

Story Writing

Story writing. Never mind the kids, this is MY favourite activity for them to be doing!!!
Why? Because they are quietly engaged with an activity for a long time without my involvement!!!
And I think that they learn a lot more from this activity than they do from certain other English language learning. Also, when I see them writing (or typing as it was today) I can see that the best way for them to learn how to write well is simply to read well written books. I can see the direct relationship between the books they are reading and the writing they produce, maashAllah. Sentence structure, characters, plot structure are all learnt about through reading, I've found. The only thing it doesn't seem to work for is punctuation, probably because the punctuation marks are so small that a reader ceases to consciously register them, although you certainly do notice when they've been left out!! (Enough said.)
So, lots of typing done today! Even Ia typed up a story she had handwritten, maashAllah.

No comments: