Friday, December 19, 2008

In progress

We got the work completed before lunch time today, so that everyone could enjoy having friends over to play in the afternoon.
Although the boys are now working on Pashto regularly I don't want to totally give up on the French, and have them forget what they have learnt so far. So, we did some French today, and I noticed that their pronunciation was better as they read through dialogues in the textbook. I think this must be the result of the Rosetta Stone trial that they used, alhamdulillah. I will try to stick to doing some French on Fridays, using traditional methods, although if I could afford to do so I would probably be tempted to get French Rosetta Stone too!
Ia and U have been doing some work on an early childhood lapbook I purchased from Hands of a Child. It is on rainforests. This is the first time that U has really been joining in with a project mainly aimed at Ia. She is not absorbing facts in the same way as Ia but she is, inshAllah, learning something.
Although I've been making our own lapbooks I became curious to try a ready prepared kit, hoping, as usual, to pick up more ideas from it. We do seem to have churned out quite a few of these projects recently, alhamdulillah! The children have 3 projects currently in progress. I timetable them to be worked on in small chunks. Sometimes a project will run for weeks. On one day only 15 or 20 minutes may be spent contributing to a project. And we don't work on a single project everyday. Sometimes, if a project seems to be dragging on I might try and concentrate more on it for a day, to get it finished off. This way of working seems to suit us.
And so another week has sped by, alhamdulillah! Time to change gear for the weekend.

2 comments:

Umm Raiyaan said...

Salaam,

Interesting sis! Would like to ask you: are these small chunks for projects separate to your normal timetable? By the way, what is a normal day for you?
Wsm,
Umm Raiyaan

ummrashid said...

Salaam,
The projects are part of the timetable, under subject headings such as Islamic studies or science for example.
Ia is nearing the end of an "Elmer" project, which she has done as her English language work on Mondays, as an alternative to a workbook.
I use the lapbook as an alternative to writing in an exercise book, just to make it more interesting. I could just as well do the same work in an exercise book though. So, for me the lapbook is just a way of presenting whatever work we are doing.
What is a normal day? OK, I'll try to do a post on that, inshAllah! My days usually seem SO normal to me I fear boring you with the minute details, alhamdulillah!!!