We have now come to the end of our habitats study for now. The last section was on changing habitats. All the other ideas I come across need outdoor work which would be better done in spring when the minibeasts are easier to find, inshAllah.
We've been working through a few textbook pages recently, but there are three other activities worth mentioning perhaps.
1.Concept checking with food chains. I wasn't sure whether the boys really got how food chains work, so I asked them each to devise a different food chain using reference books we have on deserts and rainforests. There are no food chains in there as such, just various information about what different creatures eat, so they had to read widely and piece it together.
2. Badger Wood is a game about the consequences on wildlife of cutting down a wood to make room for a road. Follow this link, then click on "play", then "games".
3. Today we watched a presentation from Arkive Education, (look in 7-11 Geography, topic "Habitats and Humans"), and discussed what we saw.
No comments:
Post a Comment