Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Little Bits of Bite Size Learning

Jam tarts with letters on. Can you just about make them out?
I like this bite sized learning approach. Lots of short, concentrated activities, but returning to a topic very regularly.
Ia benefits from this type of style. I like to do lots of what I think is called "pre-adding" activities. Yesterday Ia and I laid out several sheets of different coloured paper, assembled some toy animals and arranged them in the "field", the "sandy place" and the "muddy place". Then the animals went around visiting each other. Ia counted how many animals there were already in one place, decided how many would be visiting, and worked out how many there would be once the visitors arrived. There are lots of variations to this. Today we played shopping, with 1p coins only, buying two items at a time. This is adding, without mentioning adding.
Something else the bigger three have been doing is looking up animals on the Arkive site. Ia loves the pictures and the boys wrote out all the creatures they could find beginning with the letters J, R and I. Later they were "being" those creatures. Ia complained that her cubs kept being eaten. Boys wanted to be top predators, Ia wanted to be something cute and furry.

No comments: