Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Starting the day in the garden, and bears

The weather is getting warm at the moment. Although this is known as a heatwave here, doubtless residents of India would be grateful for the cooling conditions of a British heatwave. SubhanAllah. Weather is relative.
My children do not enjoy hot weather, and complain in the afternoon that they are too hot to do anything. The girls did manage some painting however, and it certainly dried fast enough out on the patio.
In the morning the patio is in shade, so we went out there in the morning. The girls laid out a toy's picnic and I read aloud to the boys. The temperature was just right at that time, so I continued the reading for a little longer than usual. After that the boys played outside for a while until it became hotter.
Today Ia finished off her bears and pandas project. It was made up of ready made materials I got from Currclick. At the time I thought it would be right for her English language level, but it turned out to be easier, as her reading had improved, alhamdulillah. Overall I'd say that I'm glad I bought the materials in a sale, rather than paying full price!



Inside the lapbook Ia made two mini books, which we slipped inside a pocket for storage. One was an accordian style book, in which Ia needed to match and sequence the text and pictures to make a story. The other mainly focussed on bear vocabulary.


Most of the rest of the work was done on A4sheets, so I just stapled them together at the top, so they can be flipped up and looked at. Not very creative, but does the job! We stuck a couple of bits on the back of the folder too.



2 comments:

Umm Tafari said...

As salaam alaikum,

I am interested in what you all consider a heat wave? What temperatures are you talking about?

ummrashid said...

Walaykumsalaam,
Well, I'm almost ashamed to admit this, but temperatures over 28C, or 82F are considered a news event here. We do get weeks of around these temperatures often, but they are always called heatwaves!!!
The thing is, you get used to cooler weather, so it feels unusual!