Last week I was asked how I plan and how I organise my time. I find this such a hard question to answer. I mostly just do what seems right at the time. Ideas pop into my head and I follow them, or I come across something in a book or online and I follow it along to see where it takes me. There is a back up structure of the textbooks I have bought, but what has led me to those particular textbooks was the "following ideas and suggestions" method. Pick and mix, trying things out. I know this is not a satisfactory answer. It may also sound disjointed, but it does not work out that way. Because, for the most part, I do not follow prescribed methods or "alternative" curriculum, I have, I think developed an overall style which maintains a consistent approach even with the many diversions the route throws up. Does this make sense? The more I explain the worse my answer becomes.
(The main reason I don't do prescribed methods is that I can't be bothered to wade through and absorb the mindset of another person. I may well be missing out on something, but I do pick up nuggets here and there from other bloggers who are thoughtful enough to explain.)
An example may make more sense. In our English textbook (So You Really Want to learn Junior English book 3, Galore Park (for year 5)), there was a comprehension extract from the playscript of "The Wind in the Willows" by Alan Bennet. The boys actually did the comprehension a couple of weeks ago, but last week it occured to me that they might enjoy reading the script aloud together. My school English lessons involved lots of reading aloud, and I really enjoyed it. Reading aloud is completely different from acting, and I think being able to read aloud with some feeling and intonation in the voice is a useful skill.
So, anyway, I got a copy of the play and we started reading it together today. (I skim read it over the weekend first.) The boys did appreciate the humour, and enjoyed it. The horse character is meant to be "a cousin of Eyeore", and J had a good go at that.
If this goes well I shall consider doing a lapbook on it. So, this was not planned, it just sort of happened, alhamdulillah.
Chicken pox update (Ia): the itching phase seems to be over, alhamdullilah, and so now we need to wait for the spots to fade away, inshAllah.
No comments:
Post a Comment