Thursday, November 06, 2008

Picture unrelated to post



Today was one of those days, subhanAllah!

Maybe it was because I got delayed doing the (online) grocery shopping first thing, but things just didn't gel well. More triangle work in maths didn't help. The boys find that kind of work so frustrating. They do not want to discover for themselves which kinds of triangles have lines of symmetry, through activities involving drawing and cutting out. No. They would rather just have a table of information to read. Hmm. Why do we care what triangles have what symmetry they ask. (Because we are not intending a career in architecture, engineering......ed.)

Then I spent ages wondering how to present the next phase of the study of Musa (as). Last week the boys finished their context setting presentation on the ancient Egyptians. Next we will go through the story of Musa (as) step by step, inshAllah. I considered a lapbook, but then thought that the whole story is too long and complex for that. There will be too much writing, and I don't want to have to think about more folds! We currently have four lapbooks on the go. Five if you count U's effort I use to assure her she is getting the same treatment as everyone else. Hers is more of a "I know it is there" lapbook, than an "i'm actually working on it" lapbook, if you see what I mean.

So, finally I decided to try a notebooking style. A couple of years ago my father gave me a couple of old tourist board books. The sort with thick, padded plastic covers and plastic sleeves inside, in which to put your sheets of A4. I don't know where he got these from, I'm assuming it was a charity shop. So, I removed the aged information on places to visit in North Somerset, and there you go. A good home for our Musa (as) notebooking style project. For good measure I printed off some free lined papers from here (look in free resources), just to help improve my sons' presentation skills.

I did feel calmer after all that. There were some other mess ups during the day, but I'll just forget about that now.

Anyway, Ia enjoyed having a friend over to play.

No comments: