Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Learning Together



The boys got their work done early today, alhamdulillah. They wrote a book report, did a couple of maths sheets and wrote about the time when the Prophet (saw) received the command for the number of daily prayers and how he was advised by Musa (as) to get the number reduced, from 50, eventually to 5. Musa (as) advised him (saw) to ask for a further reduction, but the Prophet (saw) was too shy to do that.

They also learnt a bit about scurvy, as well as Quran, reading and audio. I also do daily spelling with them. I have a book, which belonged to my sister, which lists spellings which should be known at certain ages. It is a list, as good as any other I suppose, so I test them from the list for nine year olds, doing between 4 and 8 a day. They actually know them all already, but when eventually they get one wrong I'll stick it on the wall for a week then retest them.

In the afternoon we all joined in to help Ia enjoy learning about the 5 senses. The only non-blurred photo I got was the one above of her filling in the booklet (sourced from Primary Resources)! The boys were sent off to prepare the taste test, sounds test, smells test and feely bag. Ia tasted jam, cake, butter and a pumpkin seed (amongst other things). She smelt vinegar, soap, toothpaste and orange juice. She identified the sound of an electric toothbrush, scissors and pencil tin (!). All of this with her eyes shut of course. U joined in too, but it was hard to stop her shouting out the answer, which she had worked out using her sense of sight! Her favourite bit was the cake tasting part. MaashAllah.

No comments: