Monday, October 20, 2008

Ia's Monday

Ia and U began their day with play in their bedroom. Then they decided to get the playdoh out.
In between Ia wanted to make a start on her work, so she did some pages from her phonics workbook. She also read two pages from her current Ladybird book.
Ia loves to do craft type things. Sometimes though, in the hectic mixof dealing with the boy's work, U's needs and household things, the relaxed time and space for creating can get squeezed. So, I've put a reminder to myself to make sure I facilitate these activities better.
Also I've organised some computer time each day for Ia, so she can make use of sites I've subscribed to.
As part of her English work I've decided to try out book based projects. Ia noticed me looking at a lapbook project idea based on "Owl Babies"by Martin Waddell, on Homeschool Share. We have that book, and she immediately wanted to do the project, (although it is actually aimed at children below her age). So today we read the book together, (she read what she could) and did one of the sections I printed off from the site. When we return to this project we'll read the book again, the idea being that she will learn to read more of it each time, inshAllah. I'll use some printouts, and I'll do some other language based work of my own, inshAllah
Ia also did some maths today, used Education City and recited some surahs along with the computer.
Meanwhile U was doing some art and craft.


Finally, Monday is the day for learning a new Arabic letter. The slow progress through the letters continues. I use every tip and technique I can find for this, but it is hard work. It seems like the alphabet will never end...but must not give up.
The book below gives some light relief.





2 comments:

UmSuhayb b David said...

maybe leaving the letters until they're older would be quicker in the long run? I can never remember systematically sitting down and teaching them the arabic letters. but somehow they have picked them up (those nasheeds, jigsaw puzzles maybe?). Joining them into reading words fluently is another matter (they need to know the different forms according to position in word) and is one of the goals I have for M nowadays. But this is just how things have worked out for us, have sabr and think of all the rewards!
Play dough seems a hit, and you're managing to keep it in separate colours,mashAllah, rather than the grey/brown ours ends up as!

ummrashid said...

Happy to hear from you! You've been quiet!