
I'm working on a literature project with the boys at the moment. I've decided to do three of these per academic year. Last year we read lots of books, but only did a project on "The Wheel on the School", by Meindert Dejong.
Over the last few weeks I read aloud "Tamburlaine's Elephants", by Geraldine McCaughrean. It is a historical fiction based around the sacking of Delhi by Timur i Lang, in 1398.
I think it is beneficial to study some literature, but at the same time think it is important to choose books that have something above entertainment value. "Tamburlaine's Elephants" has the dual function of providing study of good writing, and an introduction to a historical period.
Following up the reading the boys have researched the use of elephants in war, and the life of Timur i Lang. I got them to make notes from their reading on one day, then write the notes up the next day on the computer. InshAllah we'll do various other activities based around the book, then I'll print out their work and we'll assemble a lapbook.
On a completely different topic, this link is useful for learning about teeth.
No comments:
Post a Comment