Saturday, June 14, 2008

Saturday

I can't help but keep an eye on my children's time, even on the days we do no organised work. The weekends should involve a little variety, so as to avoid a tetchy start to the next week. Of course children do need lots of free time to do what they want with, but I find that if I take up at least a little of their time every day, they will value the rest of their time more. The other thing they benefit from is a bit of exercise, it helps keep them in a good mood.
So today I decided we should go to the library after lunch. They did moan a bit and say they wouldn't go, but once we were out everyone seemed happy. It is quite a long walk, that is what puts them off going, but on the way home the boys were racing each other, so that means they enjoyed it.
Public libraries are such excellent facilities. Well, they could always have MORE books of course, but even so, the fact that today we could borrow at least a couple of hundred pounds worth of books, much, much more than we could ever afford to buy, is something I value.
The boys are not finding as much on the fiction shelves now. Over the past year they have read what interests them, and are now on to rereads. I did find quite a few non-fiction books to interest them this time, some of which they have been reading this evening. They like "The Danger Zone" books, "Avoid Sailing on the Titanic" and "Avoid becoming a Pirates' Prisoner". they are quickly read, with lots of funny pictures.

1 comment:

UmSuhayb b David said...

salams, ,maybe just aswell mine aren't bookworms as we obviously have limited library books in English here(I expect UK libraries have few if any books in Swedish though) and I do notice the same ones again and again when I do try and find anything. I peruse the web for books but it's always hard to know exactly how appropriate the books would be. Like you say its hundreds of pounds to spend whereas an uninteresting library book is just simply returned to the library.
Maybe your boys could do some quick reviews of the better books they have read(on their blog?) so I can make a more informed decision of what to buy?or could even try and get them ordered from the library here