When I come across a non-fiction book I really like at the library it is very often published by Usborne. They seem to have got it just right in terms of delivering information in an interesting way.
In the photo are two books we currently have on loan, which are just right for Ia at the moment, maashAllah. The Planet Earth one is a lift the flap book. Each page is a full illustration, with lots of little flaps to lift and information usually printed on both sides of the flap.
Looking for a project? Why not make one of these yourself? Not a whole book of course, maybe just a double page,like a greetings card. Double up the card pages, so that you can cut a flap in the top layer and read on the layer underneath. Oh! I just thought of that now as I typed. What shall we make one about???? Magnets maybe, hmm tricky to illustrate....ok, come back to that later, inshAllah.
The book on the right is filled with double page spreads on animals in different habitats. Around the outside are pictures and information about each animal and you have to search for their pictures in the very busy, cluttered page. I hope no child gets the impression from this that in the real wild all these creatures live so crowded together. It looks more like a crowded urban street at peak hours (except with animals!) But, nevertheless, it is fun searching for all those creatures and grouping them by habitat.
Both these books are part of series, and I think they are great for young readers to dip in and out of, reading as much as they want at any time, without having to read the whole thing in sequence.
Look out for them at the library, inshAllah!
No comments:
Post a Comment