Wednesday, October 28, 2009

World Map

A couple of weeks ago, while I was waiting for the girls at their gym class, one of the other mums offered me some large pieces of card which she had received for free but had no use for. I was happy to take the card, of course, as it had been offered. I felt that I somehow needed to show that I would be putting it to good use, so I just said the first thing that came into my head,
" We could trace a world map poster onto that!".
And so the world map tracing project began.
We have a simple world map poster on the wall at home. I took it down and we used tracing paper, attached with blu-tak, to trace it all out. Ia andthe boys all had a turn.
Then we transfered it onto the large sheet of white card.
This fits in with our Geography Trail Guide theme, and is a really useful way to properly study the shape of the continents and countries. It is easy to overlook the many islands at the far north of North America, or the many islands of the Pacific, but once you have traced them, gone over the tracing, transfered the tracing and gone round the whole outline again to make it show up - it is much, much harder to forget all those places!!!
We decided to shade the oceans, to make the distinction between the land and the water, but not to colour the countries because this would obscure the labels, and I didn't feel it would add much to the learning objective. It would just get the boys fed up with colouring!
So, here is the finished map project!

I used some of the other card for lapbook covers, and still have more left for other projects, alhamdulillah!

1 comment:

Umm Raiyaan said...

Salaam, you make me laugh. MashaAllah. But hey, your quick idea proved to be a really good one mashaAllah. The finished map looks wonderful mashaAllah.

Wsm
Umm Raiyaan x