Today I made a big, long numberline for U to learn with. I have some of that old computer printer paper, the one with strips of punched holes down the side and joined with perforations. I took 10 sheets and wrote the numbers 1 to 10. I put it on the floor and U responded to questions such as "What number comes between 5 and 7?" by jumping onto the number.
Of course Ia wanted to join in, so I gave her simple additions and subtractions. A number line to twenty would have been better for her.
After that I played a couple of maths games with them, ones which mainly involve counting on and back. To avoid using dice we select from numbercards. This usually means that the games end sooner than the designers intended, but that is a good thing I think. Later still we played phonic lotto. U is still at the stage of getting cross when she doesn't win, but phonic lotto seemed to generate less tension, maashAllah! I remember using the phonic lotto set with Ia at the same age and what a struggle she had with initial sounds. It is a good reminder when I see how easy it is for her now that she is a reader, Alhamdulillah! Sometimes I may feel that learning is not going well, or going too slowly, but it is good to be reminded that we get there in the end! Alhamdulillah.
No comments:
Post a Comment