Saturday, October 17, 2009

No plan today

Home education is much more a state of mind than a stated timetable. I am just as happy to observe informal learning as the more organised stuff.
Today the boys have been out playing football. They had a match and some training with H. A friend of theirs has come over and in between all that they listened to a radio play version of "Emil and the Detectives" on Radio 4.
I had thought of taking the girls out somewhere, but the weather was grey and suddenly colder than of late, and so in the end we didn't go. Instead, the Blue Planet DVDs I had ordered arrived and we watched a couple of episodes. I bought these mainly for U. Although I realise that most of the commentary will go over her head she will love just watching the fish and other creatures. I don't quite understand why she is so fascinated with ocean life, but I know that it all began from "Finding Nemo", which goes to show that there can be a hidden value in watching a Disney cartoon. (Not that I'd recommend wasting time on other Disney titles!!) And, no, she is not disappointed that the real fish in Blue Planet don't talk.
Ia has been doing some private writing, working on her lapbook cover and tracing a map.
All informal, unplanned and happy!

No comments: