I've never done proper reading logs before. When the boys were aged 5-6 I did keep a note of their readers as they progressed through, to make sure I didn't confuse who was reading what. I didn't bother for Ia as I felt that I could remember.
Now though Ia is past the graded readers stage, alhamdulillah, and reading various books of her choice. I still get her to read aloud to me, so that she can increase her reading vocabulary, but she reads by herself too. I thought I'd try a reading log for her.
I printed one off from here.
Then I thought it would be interesting to keep logs for the boys too, especially as they increase the amount of independent non-fiction reading that they do. This won't change anyone's reading patterns. I'm not setting targets or anything like that. There is no ideal quantity to be achieved. They all read plenty, alhamdulillah, I just thought it would be interesting to observe! I probably won't manage to record everything, especially not for Ia as she may often read a couple of short books to herself at bedtime (eg. Topsy and Tim or those dull Disney books) and I won't know about those.
Reading logs, an idea for now. How long will they last?
2 comments:
i secretly like reading logs. the kids very rarely fill them in now but sometimes i sit with them and make notes about a book they've enjoyed from what they say.
i had a notion that the log sheets would build up into a sort of browsable folder of books and notes about books, and that way, any member of the family who felt like a new book could flip through the log and read the recommendations, observations and notes. ...but this ambitious project yet remains a notion!
That's a great notion! A snapshot of thoughts. Would be interesting to see if the obsevations changed when a book was reread some time later.
Post a Comment