Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Table dilema

It has been one of those jumbled days. I had to go out to an appointment in the morning. When I got back someone was servicing the boiler. Nothing got done, then, suddenly it was already lunchtime. Then almost before we could finish eating a couple more kids turned up, one to learn baking, the other to play with the boys.
The boys taught themselves all about blog features and gadgets ( no experimenting on my blog though), and I supervised the baking. Hama beads were also out.
And now it is nearly maghrib.
So, what would you do about this?
My husband brings back an old (somewhat battered) dining table from a friend, and sends our old table off (complete with cartoon drawings by Ia on the underside). The new table is bizarrely orange and huge. Our old chairs make us sit at it like kids, it is so high. How will this effect U's handwriting development I wonder? Husband loves new old table, but agrees that it is rather big for the room.
We agree that I try to get a new, smaller, table and chairs. There is a hitch with the order. It is not showing on our system, customer services assures me. I think, Qadr Allah, this old table is our rizq, I'll leave it at that.
This evening new table is delivered. (!!!)
Which one do I now send back?

5 comments:

madmumof4 said...

Salams,

I'd definately send the new one back, and buy some books with the refunded money! who cares if its old and battered, then you don't have to worry about it getting wrecked!

ummrashid said...

Assalamualaykum Hanan,
Thanks for commenting.
I will be sending the new one back, pick up arranged for Monday, inshAllah! But it is not the battered and oldness that I objected to about the table so much as the huge size in a small room! My husband also broght home a battered old PC trolly, which I was very pleased with, alhamdulillah!
As for spending the refund on books (aaahhh, so easily done), don't tempt me, don't tempt me. RESTRAINT!
(I also have a plant catalogue....)

Umm Adam said...

Assalaamu alaikum,

Don't talk to me about plant catalogues....ahh, everything looks so beautiful and I really must get a goji berry plant and... the list goes on the trouble is I do NOT have green fingers and our garden looks nothing like a garden..oh hum.

I would have sent the old table back and maybe saw the legs down a bit on the new old table to make it a bit more usable inshaAllah! Perhaps you could all paint a new 'picture' on the top/corners/legs of your new old table and make it yours, or maybe some decoupage! xx

Umm Raiyaan said...

Lol! I would send the old one back. Nothing more annoying than a table that doesn't 'fit' if you know what I mean. It would drive me mad!

ummrashid said...

Salaam,
Umm Adam, sawing the legs! In this household that is just asking for permenant wobble. And, they are not that sort of legs!
I'll have to introduce you all to the table soon I think!!!
Umm Raiyaan, if I post pictures, then you'll really be laughing!