Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Still Learning

We've had some lovely time meeting with friends recently. And otherwise, we continue as usual, alhamdulillah. I can't complain, not at all, alhamdulillah this quiet and settled period of life is a blessing, when you think of the turmoil and suffering around the world, and nearer by too.
It does leave me with not much to write about!
For the last two days the boys have been writing long stories. I can see the influence of books they have recently read in the style. After last week's intensive work on direct and reported speech, their grammar was better, but they still forgot to start a new line for every new speaker. The textbook would have them draft writing out twice before making a neat copy. Surely this just tempts young writers to cut their stories short, if they think they have to copy it out again? Obviously that's what happens in the real world of published writing, rewrites, alterations, corrections. But what about the fake world of exams, where there is no time to correct? That's the dilema of the textbook style I suppose. Prepare them for writing, or prepare them for exams? I'm not worrying about it myself, I'm just wondering what the rationale is. I'm just looking for a balance between creativity and accuracy.
That reminds me. Just as the paper could go through the printer again, it ran out of ink. But, alhamdulillah this has a good side because I thought of doing something different as a result. I downloaded worksheets , and they filled them in on the computer. Maybe this is obvious - but it took an ink shortage for me to break away from the thought that everything has to be printed out. This is probably because I went to school before computers got into the curriculum.
Which leads me to my other recent thoughts, that I must DO MORE. I must look for more new ways of working. I must move forward.

Today's quote on the Ramadan plates was
"Fasting is a shield by which a servant protects himself from the fire."

2 comments:

UmSuhayb b David said...

Asak, do you feel its the volume of work you need to step up, or mostly the way you do things? Are the kids giving an indication they want soemthing different or is it your gut instinct? MashAllah what you're doing sounds more than enough to me, but then it's always good to aim high!

ummrashid said...

I need to increase on both fronts, especially the breadth of study. Especially more Quran, and more computer skills, because these are boths skills I am weak in they need more effort. The kids are not showing a need for anything different, but then again they won't get enthusiastic about something unless they are offered or introduced to it first.