Yesterday was warm and breezy, just right for going to a wooded hill top, and for running down a long grassy slope. (Not me- the kids - obviously). However someone unexpectedly turned up to fix the bannisters, so the plan was off. Instead we went to the library, and on our way we collected conkers. And there were so many of them. I have never seen so many conkers lying around uncollected in my life. This was on a main route, opposite a big park. Where I used to live you would only find the split or mucky ones unless you went out early. We passed a couple shovelling conkers off their driveway. They told us "There's loads, the kids are not allowed them at school for health and safety reasons, it's madness". So just because you can't take it to school, does the shiny conker lose all its appeal?
This morning it seems we are having our first autumn gale. I stayed up after fajr, to try to get some work done. After a while I thought I'd go rest. It was then I heard the ominous drip, drip, drip coming from the loft. So I've been up there, arranging containers under the drips.
1 comment:
the conkers are relatively untouched here too although more due to lack of kids about maybe. I dont think they have l the conker fights concept either, otherwise likely it would also be banned here.
Post a Comment