
Yesterday we did the tests for three invisible gases, hydrogen, carbon dioxide and oxygen. Earlier in the week the boys had studied a chapter on this in their
textbook. We also all viewed
this demonstration on YouTube. (Video has background music)
Above we are testing for oxygen. We used a wooden skewer to show the oxygen relighting the flame.
Below is the test for carbon dioxide using limewater. Our chemistry set has limited equipment, so improvisation with a drinking staw was required!
I also demonstrated the presence of cabon dioxide in exhaled breath by blowing into some limewater through a straw.

I don't have a photo of the test for the test hydrogen, but we did the experiment quite a few times and got several "pop"s.We found that you need to be pretty quick getting the flame into the hydrogen to get a pop.
Below is another test for carbon dioxide we watched
here.The carbon dioxide is being made by a reaction between vinegar and baking powder. You pour the foam around, but NOT ON the lighted candle.

As more is poured in the candle dims,

then it goes out, because of the carbon dioxide now in the jar.

today, inshAllah they'll be writing up.
3 comments:
Salaam
I remember when we did these experiments in school. I think its probably the only thing I remember of science aside from the A Level drawings of atoms I did when I was in Year 7 because our teacher thought we could do them! Really enjoyed those too!
Salaam, a basic chemistry set allows you to do these key types of experiments just as well at home.
Post a Comment