Sunday, June 13, 2010

Library books



I was very used to my old blog style. I don't bother to change things often. The look of something doesn't interest me too much, but because of the little arrow marks on the old template just where the date was I kept thinking there was a grubby fingerprint on my screen, when in fact it was the overlapping template. I would have probably been too lazy about it to make the change until blogger put that new design thing right in front of me!

The library books in the picture have helped keep the girls busy over the weekend, maashAllah. The Usborne Science make and do book has lots of fun activities inside. It is not really that scientific, as it doesn't explain the science behind the activities, but the activities are fun for exploring and building experiences. The girls have made shadow puppets and floating ice boats this weekend.

Since having the opportunity to handle a lizard recently Ia has become quite interested in them and picked out some lizard books from the library this weekend. She has been reading through them independently, maashAllah. She is very interested in animals at the moment, in fiction and non-fiction books, maashAllah. Last week she read about barn owls and large mammals. Having given her thoses reminders to read regularly I now findthat she has developed this into her own habit and I no longer need to remind her often, alhamdulillah.

5 comments:

madmumof4 said...

Assalamo alaikum,

MashaAllah I love the new look! Is it a blogger template that you used?

ummrashid said...

Walaykumsalaam,
Yes, just a blogger template.

Homeschool 4 Muslims said...

Assalamoalaikum

when you do these activities, do you actually explain the science behind them or just leave it at that?
just curious how u go about it!

wassalam

Anonymous said...

Asalaam 'Alaikum:

I've submitted an award for your blog.

Check out:
http://yemenlinks.com/blog/2010/06/14/836/

Asalaam 'Alaikum,
Sumayyah Umm SAA

ummrashid said...

Walaykumsalaam,
JazakAllahkhair for both these comments.
Actually I wasn't very involved in the activities, as Ia can read the instructions for herself, but where I did join in I did offer an informal explanation of some of the science, yes. Just discussion.